Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Art of Yuki Onna

The Art of Yuki Onna is a collaborative visual development project in which a group of fantastic artists (who happen to be my friends) and I reinterpreted the Japanese tale of Yuki Onna. 



My friend Seth did a fantastic job with the art direction (as well as producing several paintings for the book), and he helped shape the project into a collaboration that still felt independent and personal to all participating artists. We each interpreted the story into different times, styles, and stories. My approach was very simple, as I didn't really change many of the elements. 



Working in a collaborative vis dev project was a fantastic experience. I learned a lot from my fellow collaborators, and it was a great way to keep my creative brains busy. The biggest challenge for me was balancing my full time job in animation with this project. As always, I wish I had done even more work, but I'm happy I had something to work on during the weekends and even late nights after work.  



You can read more about the book and the artists in it at my friend Mariya's blog. You *do not* want to miss her beautiful watercolour paintings. Mariya is so, so good

Other artists who worked on this book:
Travaldo Sinan Laura 
Special thanks to Amy for the design and layout of the book!



No comments:

Post a Comment