Friday, December 16, 2011

The Canada Line Project

The Canada Line Project consists of four 10 second films my classmates in Experimental Animation and I worked on for a couple of months this semester. This was commissioned by the Canada Line subway company, and will be aired from the middle of January to February in all the screens of all the Canada Line stations. So, if you're in the Vancouver area during that time, make sure you take the subway and check out all four films! The films will be aired individually during four weeks. This has been my first experience with public art - exciting!

The sad thing? We weren't allowed to add sound - I really wish we had worked with sound!

The class was divided into three different groups to work on the first three films. We had to develop ideas and pitch them to our benefactors - a public art consultor and a representative from the Canada Line company. I was very lucky to work with a group of talented people on the third film "Parade". Eventually, we organized a set of people to work on the final film "Coda". After seeing what the other two groups created, I must say this project was very successful. You'd have to see them all together, but I'll save that for later. These are the films I worked on:





Coda - Third Test from Karla on Vimeo.


Here are some WIP clips, and tests of the characters I animated. It was exciting to animate paper cutouts; this is something I might do for my grad project. Also, I'm very happy I got to work in so many aspects of production - from storyboards and animatics  to compositing and cleanup.








--
Este proyecto fue una comisión de cuatro cortos de 10 segundos por Canada Line, una compañía local de trenes subterráneos. Ha sido parte de mi clase de Animación Experimental, y trabajé con varios de mis compañeros para crear dos de las cuatro partes. Este proyecto va a ser mostrado al público en todas las pantallas de las estaciones de Canada Line en Vancouver. Así que si van a estar por estos lados entre Enero y Febrero, ¡presten atención cuando estén en el subte!
Esta ha sido mi primera experiencia con arte público, y a fin de cuentas ha sido una experiencia positiva. Para desarrollar el proyecto, la clase se dividió en tres grupos para trabajar en los primeros tres cortos. Desarrollamos una serie de ideas que presentamos a una representante de la compañía y una consultora de arte público. Después de storyboards, animatics, y aprobación, empezamos a trabajar. Yo trabajé en las partes 3 y 4 (postearé las 1 y 2 el año que viene). 


Fue bastante satisfactorio poder trabajar en tantas etapas de producción. Desde hacer un pitch hasta limpiar en post producción. Aparte, este proyecto me permitió trabajar animando papel cortado, que es algo que no había hecho "formalmente" y me ha gustado muchísimo.

Credits:
Parade
Preproduction work by: Laura Nisbet, Tor Aunet, Nick Byrne, Lou Papa, Brian Iankovs, and Karla Monterrosa
Characters and animation by: Emily Kao, Laura Nisbet, Tor Aunet, Lou Papa, Brian Iankovs, and Karla Monterrosa
Set by: Rose Luo, Emilie Van Os-Schmidt, Nick Byrne and David O'Brien

Coda
Preproduction work by: Laura Nisbet, Emilie Van Os-Schmidt, and Karla Monterrosa
Animation and characters by: Laura Nisbet, Brian Iankovs, Lou Papa, Tor Aunet, Jennifer Chiang, Cody Shaw, Emily Kao and Karla Monterrosa.
Set by: Rose Luo, Emilie Van Os-Schmidt, Nick Byrne and David O'Brien


No comments:

Post a Comment